Home > New York > Penn Yan

Yates County DSS Penn Yan - Dept of Social Services

Website: http://www.yatescounty.org/

Penn Yan, NY - 14527

Financial Help Provided: Temporary Assistance, Food Stamps, Medical Assistance, etc

Full Description:

Temporary Assistance

There are two types of Temporary Assistance available to families in Yates County: Family Assistance and Safety Net Assistance.

Family Assistance (FA)
Family Assistance (FA) provides cash assistance to needy families that include a minor child living with a parent (including families where both parents are in the household) or a caretaker relative. FA operates under federal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) guidelines.

Under FA, eligible adults are limited to receiving benefits for a total of 60 months in their lifetime, including months of TANF-funded assistance granted in other states. Once this limit is reached, then that adult and all members of his or her FA household are ineligible to receive any more FA benefits. The months need not be consecutive, but rather each individual month in which TANF-funded benefits are received is included in the lifetime count. The counting of this 60-month limit began in December 1996.

All adults who are determined to be employable are expected to work in lieu of
receiving Temporary Assistance. If you apply for Temporary Assistance and you are determined to be able to work, you must continually search for a job, take a job when available, and participate in work related activities during the time that you apply for and receive Temporary Assistance.

Parents are also responsible for cooperating with the local department of social services in locating any absent parent. Non-cooperation without good cause could result in lower benefits.

Safety Net Assistance (SNA)

If you are not eligible for other assistance programs, you may be eligible for SNA. SNA is for:
Single adults
Childless couples
Children living apart from any adult relative
Families of persons abusing drugs or alcohol
Families of persons refusing drug/alcohol screening, assessment or treatment
Persons who have exceeded the 60-month limit on assistance
Aliens who are eligible for temporary assistance, but who are not eligible for federal reimbursement

Generally, you can receive cash SNA for a maximum of two years in a lifetime. After that, if you are eligible for SNA, it is provided in non-cash form, such as a two party check or a voucher. In addition, non-cash SNA is provided for:

Families of persons abusing drugs or alcohol
Families of persons refusing drug/alcohol screening, assessment or treatment

The Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) is a federally funded energy assistance program. New York's grant is allocated among Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance (OTDA) for a heating benefit program, the state Division of Housing and Community Renewal for weatherization activities, and the State Office for the Aging for outreach and referral activities. Applications are taken at all local departments of social services. For information on where to apply, call 1-800-342-3009.
Food Stamps
Administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), the Food Stamp Program issues monthly benefits redeemable at authorized retail food stores. Eligibility and benefit levels are based on household size, income, assets and other factors. To help with the transition to self-sufficiency, food stamps can be continued for families leaving temporary assistance to move into the workplace. The food stamp income eligibility limits enable families earning up to 130 percent of the poverty level to qualify for the program, and there is no time limit for receipt of benefits for families with children.
Child Care Services
The federal/state funded Child Care Subsidy program offers payment for day care services for eligible families who are working, going to approved training or receiving Temporary Assistance and required to participate in work related activities. Eligibility is based on the age of the child, family income and eligibility of the child care provider.  You many apply at the Yates County Department of Social Services or call 315-536-5183.

Contact FinancialHelpResources.com

Do you have more to add or need listing updated? Let us know.

Email Address:


Answer Above Math Problem:


About Us
Contact Us

Tips For Prompt And Professional Assistance
1. Make an appointment - Always attempt to make an appointment. Oftentimes this will save you hours waiting in lines. When on the phone make sure you ask for the documentation needed in order to receive assistance.

2. Do not be late for your appointment - This tip should speak for itself.

3. Dress appropriately - If you want to be treated with respect, dress as appropriately as possible. We are not saying wear a suit. Just make sure you and your clothes are clean and non offensive. We have found that clients who dress in this manner have a better chance of receiving aid.

4. Bring all pre determined documentation - Bring all of the documents you were advised to bring from your appointment phone call. Without them, you will not receive aid.

Mission Statement
To help the needy find financial aid and assistance. This nation is going through tough times and providing a helping hand can help make the world a better place.